These beds are designed to elevate the animals from the floor and enhance their overall comfort. The beds are constructed of heavy duty PVC and water/weather/puncture resistant denier 1000, and are built to last. The beds will be donated to small municipal shelters in the outlying areas of the DFW Metroplex – shelters tend to have limited resources and less visibility than the larger cities in the area – including Lake Worth Animal Shelter, Seagoville Animal Shelter, and more.
"Off The Ground!!" was inspired by Columbus Rescue Connection. They have donated over 800 elevated dog beds to shelters in rural Ohio, and inspired countless other bed-making projects across the country, making a huge difference in the welfare and overall comfort of dogs in need.
The event will be held this Saturday, 10/13 from 11:00-1:00 at the South Side Bark Park,in connection with the Halloween Spooktacular. The park is located at 913 Belleview Street in Dallas.
Organizes need volunteers and donations to make this event a success.
- Cost for 1 bed – $14.83
- 50 PVC Pipes - $150.00 or PVC (1 ¼” x 10’ Schedule 40- White)
- 208 PVC Fittings – $337.00 (we have found the least expensive source for this, available online)
- 3000 Screws – $52.77 (least expensive source is online)
- 25 Drill Bits – $5.99
Any amount will help and will be applied directly to the purchase of these supplies. Donations can be made online.
Volunteers are also needed:
- Event Team Members to setup for the event, assist the building teams, distribute and transport supplies and components and help with break down.
- Build Team Captains ot recruit teams of 2 or 3 (age 10 or older), bring tools and assist in training teams, and be the point of contact for the building teams, and
- Build Team Members to help actually build the beds.
For questions, or to volunteer, contact Chris Watts at email@example.com or call 214-282-4612.
Photo: Urgent Animals at Bastrop County Animal Shelter’s “Off The Ground!!” day, courtesy Columbus Dog Connection.